About Me

My photo
I am an artist, wife and mother, paraeducator, yo-yo dieter, and small town country girl. I love singing in my church choir, computer time, beading and making jewelry. And I love enameling! There is something very magical about turning powder into smooth, shiny, and colorful glass.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Weekend Warrior

Because I work during the day, I don't get a lot of enameling done during the week. So on Saturdays I turn on the kiln and go to town!. Sundays are often used for paying bills and house cleaning but I usually fit in a little studio time especially if I have custom orders. I am a weekend warrior for sure! These center drilled beauties are what I worked on today. I love the vibrant opaque mix and match colors. All of the copper blanks were purchased from Metal Fetish on etsy. They have a new web site but they didn't have the starflowers or small flowers. Hmm,  I'll have to email them and inquire because I'm out of those.
I envision these components stacked and attached to brass stampings and leather or chain.

I fired on a layer of clear front and back first. I've found the clear is important when the copper blanks are small and have pointed parts. Then I fired two coats of the opaque colors. The tiny pieces were a pain!
And I had some problems with this one on the edges. I have no idea why the enamel didn't stick but I assume I got some dirt or grease on it.
Very maddening!
Much better!  Buying premade copper shapes and enameling them in solid colors is easy and will get you great results. I'll be listing these in my etsy supplies shop soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment