About Me

My photo
I am an artist, wife and mother, paraeducator, yo-yo dieter, and small town country girl. I love singing in my church choir, computer time, beading and making jewelry. And I love enameling! There is something very magical about turning powder into smooth, shiny, and colorful glass.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday's Tutorial

I can't promise that I will have a new tutorial every Tuesday but it's a good idea, isn't it? I will try, I promise. Today I'm going to show you how to get an interesting matte finish on your enameled pieces. Here's a finished enameled bead.
You need a commercial etching creme like Etch-All.
Make sure you use rubber gloves because it is strong stuff. I used a few different techniques to apply the creme but I ended up just covering the whole bead in a goopy manner. I let it sit for 1/2 hour instead of the 15 minutes the instructions recommended.
 Rinse off the creme and you've got a great finish that looks a bit like pottery or ceramic. If you're not happy with the matte look you can fire the piece again to get the shine back.


1 comment:

  1. Or you could just drop it in your pickle pot for a bit and you get the same effect. It etches it and gives it that mat finish as well. Neat blog !!

    ReplyDelete