About Me

My photo
I am an artist, wife and mother, paraeducator, yo-yo dieter, and small town country girl. I love singing in my church choir, computer time, beading and making jewelry. And I love enameling! There is something very magical about turning powder into smooth, shiny, and colorful glass.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Enameling over Transparents

Interesting and rustic effects can be achieved by enameling over a clear transparent enamel. The clear transparent enamels are "soft" and the color you choose to put on top will sink into the clear layer a bit so the beautiful copper color shines through. Transparent enamel is also called flux not to be confused with the flux that is used in soldering. I use Thompsen medium clear and put a generous coat on the front and back. It's great for smaller pieces because it covers easily when fired and makes a good base for the next layer. For these pieces, I used Foundation white as my second layer and one layer of a transparent color on top. Pretty spring colors with a rustic look!
  I experimented a little by first sifting a small amount of the white on the reverse and letting that dry. Then I sifted the white on the front being careful not to dislodge too much of the enamel on the back. I fired the front and back at the same time and it worked great! The backs have a nice look, simple but interesting. I can't wait to turn these little beauties into earrings. The curved flowers at the top will be layered on hammered and antiqued copper discs with beads and chain. Winter is hanging on here in Vermont so I had to create my own Spring garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment